My Personal Connection
“You have to wake up each morning with an ‘I can do this’ attitude to be successful Morgan,” I told myself about a year ago! You see, I always thought I was a night owl and was productive in the evening; however, once I had kids I realized I had to switch it up! Gone were the days of cranking out work until 2 AM and waking up at 10 AM. I found myself in a frazzle when my boys both got into elementary school and they had to be up and out the door before 8 AM. I was always scrambling to get it together and felt highly stressed each morning from 6:30-8:00 AM. Now I know part of that is indicative of my blood type’s propensity for higher cortisol levels in the morning, but really my morning stress was off the chain.
Often times my boys were waking me up as I continuously hit the snooze button on my iPhone, secretly hoping the time would somehow multiply and I would have ample time to get us all up and out even though I was making it harder on myself by delaying the inevitable… Something had to give, I truly needed change.
I started researching the habits of highly successful people and I realized that most of the ones I admired get up before 5 AM and all of them had a “Morning Routine,” something that set their day in a positive direction. So I put my big girl panties on and set out to create something that would work for me! I’m about to share that routine with all of you and I encourage you to find YOUR morning rhythm and dance your way into a joyfully productive day! Remember, how you start often determines how you finish!
THE JOY OF A MORNING ROUTINE
Honestly, my morning routine starts each night! I have a few things that get me prepped for a good night sleep.
- I stop eating by 8:30 PM (only clean fuel throughout the day)
- I drink an 8 oz cup of chamomile tea and take 350 mg of magnesium at about 9:00 PM
- While drinking my tea I look at my calendar for the next day and plan my top 3 goals.
- I dry skin brush and take a warm shower
- I jump in bed and read about 5-10 pages of “light” reading or flip through a magazine to unwind when I can.
- I say my prayers and try to lay it down by 11:00 PM at the latest. I’m always shooting for 10:0o PM
MAGICAL MORNING MOMENTS
- Up 4:45 AM (most days I wake before my alarm clock. That’s one of the joys of clean eating and exercise: massive amounts of energy throughout the day)
- Put a tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth to “oil pull.” I keep it in for 20 minutes. After that time I spit it out and immediately brush my teeth.
- While oil pulling I read/listen to the bible for 20-30 minutes each morning.
- I find one or two verses that stand out to me and make a graphic for it so I can meditate on it all day!
- I write for 5 minutes in my journal about my thoughts and what I’m thankful for in my life.
- Jump on the treadmill for 30 minutes of fasted cardio, an uphill walk.
- After walking I drink 8 oz of warm lemon water (juice from one organic lemon)
- Wake up boys
- Make a healthy breakfast and drink an 8 oz “Green Juice” Gently Dried Superfood Powder Drink.
- Once I get the boys fed and out the door. I usually hit the gym for weightlifting, Zumba, and/or Yoga!
- By 9:30-10 AM I’m done and ready to start my day of business with clients.
Please note, this is my ideal and many mornings it does happen; however, there are days when it might not! So when you create your routine don’t beat yourself up if the morning doesn’t go “according to plan!” Adjust and move on!
For another idea on a great morning routine please check out this article on a great site call “Positive Health and Wellness.”